Thursday, December 2

Day 2: Asian Lettuce Wraps, with Recipe!

Money spent so far: $1.49

I decided today that I will be going home to visit my parents this weekend. This affects the challenge in a couple of ways. First off, it feels like cheating a bit because my parents will undoubtedly feed me stuff and possibly send me home with food as well. (If that happens I will probably decide it is off-limits until after Christmas.) Secondly, I feared for the fresh food in my fridge. I had leftover mushrooms, onions, and celery from making faux-Thanksgiving on Saturday and a few other things I had purchased for the week. Not wanting the food to spoil on my weekend away, I set to work as soon as I got home. I stuck my ground turkey in the freezer and my bok choy has been parboiled and is flash freezing as I type. I believe my crazy hydroponic living lettuce, my potatoes, and my carrots will be okay when I get back. The rest I've made into Asian Lettuce Wraps. I have leftovers in the fridge and freezer. See recipe at the end!
(There are no pictures, but I might take pictures of future recipes when I'm less stressed.)

To make this meal I had to buy soy sauce ($1.59 with tax)

Breakfast: No Breakfast

Lunch: Leftover Macaroni and Cheese

Work Snack: A few quickly scarfed Parmesan Herb Crackers and Peanuts

Dinner: Asian Lettuce Wraps (See Recipe Below)

Dessert: Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic
(I also plan on eating some licorice.)

Asian Lettuce Wraps

I tend to make up recipes as I go and I never measure things, so measurements are approximate. Sorry.

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil (If I had it, I would add a teaspoon of sesame oil at the same time)
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cup celery, diced

1/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce

1 bell pepper, cubed (I used green, but red would be lovely)
3/4 pound cubed mushrooms
1 can of water chestnuts, chopped roughly a few times through
1 can of baby corn, cut into small rounds.

1 tsp dried, powdered ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chile powder
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon wasabi
1 teaspoon salt
1 cube vegetable bouillon
2 1/2 tablespoons natural Sugar

Lettuce (would be best with something crunchy like ice berg, but mine was bib lettuce.)

Directions:
On medium-high heat, heat oil, onion, celery, and garlic in large pan. When oil starts to sizzle add flour and stir until it begins to turn golden. Then add water and soy sauce while stirring. (Add additional water if sauce seems too thick.) Then add the rest of the veggies, the spices, the bouillon, and the sugar. Cook until veggies are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Serve with rinsed lettuce leaves, wrap 'em and eat 'em. Voila! A healthy meal!

This recipe is sweet and flavorful, but not spicy. It would be good with chiles if you want spice. Rice would be an obvious side dish, and the addition of stir fried chicken or tofu would also be yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment