Tuesday, December 14

Heavenly Sin or: How to Make People Swoon with the Easiest Recipe Ever

The Chocolate Chip Cream Cheeseballs recipe I've been making since high school is probably my most beloved, despite the fact (or perhaps because of the fact) that it takes almost no effort to put together. Also, I've had more people ask for this recipe than I can count, including people who "do not cook." Rest easy, there is no cooking actually involved in the making of this decadent dessert.

Sadly, this will be the first year I have not made these at Christmastime since I was 17. Instead, I combined it with one of my other favorite, easy dessert recipes to create something even more sinful. I'll add that recipe shortly.

Here is the recipe for Chocolate Chip Cream Cheeseballs, adjusted by me over the years, and known by many as "Heaven":

Ingredients"
1 stick cream cheese (No, low fat or neufchatel cheese will not do, thank-you-very-much.)
1 stick unsalted butter (Just do it.)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar (This is the one place where the recipe will let you cut down a bit on calories. Sweeten to taste.)
1 bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
crushed pecans (optional)
Graham crackers or Vanilla Wafers


Let cream cheese & butter become soft at room temperature for 2-3 hours. Whip them together with an electric mixer on low, or mix manually with a potato masher. (Warning: at least one electric mixer has died due to this recipe, make sure ingredients are very soft if using electric.)
Then add 1 tsp vanilla and powdered sugar and blend well.
With a large spoon, gently stir in 1/2 bag miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let mixture firm up. (I often leave it overnight just because that's easier prep-wise.)
Separate refrigerated mass into two sections, roll into 2 balls on some waxed paper, then roll balls in remaining chocolate chips or pecan pieces.
(Alternatively, if coating in pecans, you can roll the cream cheese mixture into a long, thin log before coating in pecans. This makes it easy to slice off individual servings, but does not work well if coating in chocolate chips (it makes the chocolate ratio too high, in my opinion.)
Serve with graham crackers and/or vanilla wafers!

No comments:

Post a Comment